Crawl Space

Search This Blog

July 1, 2014

DIY Crawl Space Encapsulation on a Budget: Day 6 - Install Dehumidifier




Supplies:


This was the one day when I had to get help from my husband. I knew there was no way I would be able to lift the dehumidifier in the crawl space in order to hang it from the joists. Before I asked for his assistance, I chose the most central, yet convenient location for the dehumidifier. I plugged in an extension cord and tacked it up along the joists as I stretched it over to the other side of the crawl space. I will eventually have an electrician come and put an outlet close enough to the dehumidifier to eliminate the need of an extension cord, but since we already had outlets down there for the previously installed vent fans, I am putting that off for a little while. The last thing I did was install the hang kit that came with our dehumidifier. It was then time for my husband to do the heavy lifting.



I know that a drain line should be installed, but I also know that it will probably take me a long time to do it given that I have zero plumbing experience. I am getting nervous about the humidity in the crawl space since I sealed it up. The hydrometer that I have down there shows the moisture level has risen to 80%. I used the vinyl hose that was included with the dehumidifier, tied it in a knot to form a trap, and put the hose through a hole in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket.


No comments:

Post a Comment