Crawl Space

Search This Blog

June 24, 2014

DIY Crawl Space Encapsulation on a Budget: Day 2 - Prepare for New Vapor Barrier






Supplies:


My goal for the second day of this project was to prepare for the new vapor barrier. This was a very dirty job but not at all difficult. It was pinned in place, but I easily removed it and pulled it out of the access door, and had it taken off with the trash. I then raked the entire crawl space to clear rocks and other debris using a regular garden rake. This was difficult, and I still wasn't pleased with the results several hours later.

I decided at the last minute to pick up some felt paper to lay under the new vapor barrier. I had seen underlayment used in several online tutorials and noticed different types available on several crawl space product suppliers' websites. It is typically recommended for crawl spaces that will have a lot of traffic or be used for storage. I chose to use Warrior Roofing 30 Lb Felt. I do not know how this product differs from the felt underlayment that is manufactured specifically for crawlspaces, but I felt that it would provide cushion and protection. Furthermore, having the felt on the floor would provide a nicer and much cleaner work environment until I laid the floor down. This task was quite simple. I rolled the felt to the far end of the crawl space, pinned one end using landscape fabric pins, rolled it out, and repeated until the entire floor was covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment