Crawl Space

Search This Blog

June 27, 2014

DIY Crawl Space Encapsulation on a Budget: Day 5 - Seal Vapor Barrier




Supplies:


My project today was pretty straight forward. I used a little more than 2 rolls of the white seam tape and sealed the walls, the walls to the floor, and the floor to the piers. As I stretched out the tape, I pressed it firmly into the surface to ensure a good seal.

Sealing the corners of the piers was very time consuming and required a lot of tape. One reason it took so long was because the duct work runs along side the piers, making it very difficult to work around them. The reason it took so much tape was likely due to my lack of skill and also the unevenness of the ground. The ground around each pier is several inches lower than the rest of the crawl space floor.




The last thing I sealed was the wall around the air conditioner. Our house was built in the 1950's, before central heat and air. Because of this, a huge hole was later busted out of the foundation in order to install the ductwork. The hole is 2-3' tall and wide, incredibly messy, and has two huge ducts going through it. I noticed that I could see light coming in from outside where the air conditioner meets the house, so I sealed as much as I could with Great Stuff. I then used a leftover piece of foam board to fit the opening and filled the remaining gaps with Great Stuff. Finally, I used some scraps of the vapor barrier and seam tape to make it as airtight as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment